Tuesday 6 March 2012

Currently Watching-Breaking Bad season 1

A show that has been on the radar for quite a while now,but never really been in a rush to watch.

Mild mannered,law abiding high school chemistry  teacher Walter White (played by Bryan Cranston) learns that he has an inoperable type of lung cancer and instead of letting the cancer waste him away to nothingness over the limited amount of time he has left,he decides to team up with a former student Jesse (Aaron Paul) to cook and sell crystal meth to financially secure his pregnant wife and disabled son after his death.

Expectations from the show before watching;
  • Cranston to act everyone else in the show under the table.
  • An original look at how cancer is dealt with in a television show.
  • Super tense scenes dealing with the human condition.
So Far...
I was quite surprised about how funny it is.Not Arrested Development quick gag funny,but more along the tone of Six Feet Under pitch black comedy.For Example in an episode I watched recently,Walt and Jesse have to deal with a melted down human body burning itself through the levels of Jesse's house.Bleak and Hilarious to watch at the same time.The overall tone of the show is well balanced and not too tense that it spoils the enjoyment of watching it,yet,5 episodes in and it hasn't got me rushing to watch the next episode.More on the show as I watch on.





1 comment:

  1. I had three stabs at watching Breaking Bad and on the second attempt those first three episodes got the better of me and I dropped it for about a year, but I've since finished the lot and it's easily my favourite show on TV these days.

    My blog's got a lot barer since I stopped writing stuff like this. I don't know why I did. Might resume.

    Also hello Declan Glasgow.

    ReplyDelete